Henry Noble contributed by Linda Noble Murphy
Henry Noble was born between 1796 and 1800 in North Carolina (cite 1900 Jackson County census Riley Noble Pomona Twp; A-sheet 16). His parents are as yet unknown. He married Barbara Smith about 1820 in Illinois (?). Barbara was the daughter of Andrew Smith and Catherine (Halterman) Smith of Union County, Illinois. She was born about 1800 in (possibly) Rowan County, North Carolina.
It is assumed Henry came to Illinois between the 1818 census (in which he was not ennumerated) and the 1820 US census where he first appears.
Notes taken from original documents:
Mon 3, September 1823: Jonesborough (sic), Illinois In a directive regarding a road leading from Greer’s ferry to Golconda:
John Meisenheimer, supervisor is allowed the following additional list of hands to wit, George Greer, Jacob Cruise, Samuel Cruse, George Hileman, John Smith, George Smith, Henry Noble, John Yost, and Alexander (Patterson crossed out) Yost.
December 1823: George Hunsaker is appointed supervisor of a road leading from Flagh’s Mill to Smith’s Ferry in place of John Meisenheimer resigned. The following are allotted to Sd Hunsaker To wit: John Meisenheimer, John Ury (?), Geo Greer, Jacob Cruse, Samuel Cruse, George Hileman, John Smith, George Smith, Henry Nobles, John Yost, Alexander Yost, (illegible) Meisenheimer, Aaron Lyerly, John Weaver, Jacob Lentz, Henry Lentz (line drawn through), Aaron Cruse, Moses Cruse, A Hileman, Adam Hileman, Wilkerson Godwin, & James Frick Jnr.
June 1824; Jonesborough of June 1824: Ordered that the following named hands be allotted to John McIntosh supervisor of the road leading from Jonesborough to Littleton’s Ferry and they are hereby allotted to Sd. Supervisor To wit Samuel Emmerson, James McMillen, Jacob Treece, Wm Tripp, Hiraim Tripp, John Barker, John Smith, Geo Smith, Henry Nobles, Jacob Cruse, Samuel Cruse, John Cruse, David Brown, Jeremiah Brown, George Greer, and George Hileman.
December 1825: Henry was appointed member of the Union County Grand Jury for term May 1826. Some others appointed were Cliff Hazlewood, George Smith, Peter Woolf, Peter Powles, John Tweedy, Benjamin May, George Daugherty, Calvin Price, John Stokes, Jonathan Landrith, George Evans, Thomas McIntosh, George Davolt, and John Dillow.
Census for Union County, Illinois:
1820: Henry Noble one free white males 21 and older; two other whites
1830: Henry Noble two males under 5 years, one male 1015 years, one
male 30-40 years; 2 females under 5 years, 2 females 5-10 years, one female 30-40 years
1835: I am unable to locate any persons with surname Noble on this census.
Land: Northwest quarter section 33, township 15 south, range 1 west, 160 acres, worth
$172 at Henry’s death. The land was sold to L.P. Wilcox to pay debts when
Children of Barbara (Smith) and Henry Noble:
1. William A. Noble was born 25 Feb 1820 in Union Co., Illinois and died 18 March 1867 at his residence in Preston, Union Co., Illinois. He married (1) Mary Ann Gaston 27 October 1839 in Union Co., Illinois . She was born abt 1825, parents unknown, date of death for Mary Ann is unknown. He married (2) Sarah King Stearman 2 Apr 1846 in Union Co., Illinois. She was born abt 1823 in Tennessee, parents unknown. A later date, 21 May, 1854, is also shown for the marriage between William and Sarah. It appears that Sarah’s previous marriage to a James Stearman may not have been finalized by the time of the first marriage between Sarah and William.
2. Riley Noble was born 28 March 1827 in Union Co, Illinois and died 1 Jan 1909 in Pomona, Union Co., IL. He married (1)Louisa Adeline Cauble 9 Apr 1850 in Union Co., IL. She was born 7 Oct 1831 in Illinois to parents unknown. Louisa died 29 Sep 1872. She is buried in the Smith-Lyerle Cemetery , Union County, IL. Riley married (2) Isabell Milligan Montgomery 22 Nov 1876 in Jackson Co., IL. She was born June 1831 in Ohio to parents unknown. Isabell died 29 Apr 1910 at Makinda Township, Jackson Co, IL. She is buried in the
Stearns Cemetery, Jackson Co. Illinois.
3. Catherine Malinda Noble was born 1832 in Union Co., IL and died 13 Mar 1865 in Union Co., IL. She married Zachariah Lyerly 1848 in Union Co., IL. He was born 14 Sep 1814 in Rowan Co, NC of parents unknown. He died 26 Apr 1874 at Preston, Union Co. IL.
4. Nancy Noble, birth date unknown, is presumed to have died abt 1835/6.
5. Joseph Noble, birth date, unknown is presumed to have died abt 1835/6.
Death: Henry Noble died 15 Feb 1836
According to Henry’s probate file, there was a debt of $6.23 owed to Jacob Frick for three coffins for wife and children as well as a coffin for himself valued at $2.50.
Apparently wife Barbara and two children (presumed to be Nancy and Joseph) died
shortly before Henry’s death. Cause of death(s) is uncertain.
In addition, a debt owed to Wilkinson Godwin in the amount of $31 is recorded
for materials necessary in saddlers work. This may indicate that Henry was a
saddler in addition to his farming.
Guardianship of minor children:
1. William Noble age 16: Guardian appointed (1836) was John Meisenheimer.
2. Riley Noble age 14: Guardian appointed (1837) was Andrew Smith.
3. Catherine Malinda Noble age abt 3 does not appear to have a legally appointed guardian, but she appears on the 1850 Union County Census in the household of Richard Finch. Richard Finch’s wife Sarah (nee Smith) was Barbara Smith Noble’s sister.
Jackson County ILGenWeb Home Page